Skip to main content

Rainstorms and miracles

Sometimes, when we're feeling down, God sends us something really simple to lift us up.

This seems like a really easy idea to grasp, but think about the implications of it. For example: I'm an American teenage girl, one of millions just like myself. Yet, He knew that I was feeling down today. He knew how badly I was missing my friends, how parched my thirst for adventure was getting, how much I was wishing for things that I couldn't have, or couldn't have yet. 

Furthermore, He knew one simple, easy thing that would lift my mood, cause me to smile again: Dancing in the rain. 

So He sent me a little rainstorm. And He knew I would go dance in it, thanks to a certain friend who tells me that if I don't dance in the rain, I'll wish I had later. 

I looked out the window and heard the rain, and knew that my friend was right... if I didn't dance in the rain now, I would regret it later. So I got up and went outside and danced in the rain. And I laughed. Because it was sunny and raining at the same time. The rain was pleasantly cool, but the puddles under my feet were hot from the heat of the cement. The little breeze that came with the rain stroked my face and neck and lifted the loose tendrils of my hair, as cool little raindrops found my skin. And then it was gone. it was just a small miracle to lift my spirits. But it was a beautiful rainstorm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...