Skip to main content

Gender equality 1

This is a post about gender equality.

So I know of quite a few people out there who give tons of extra attention to women throughout history who have accomplished great things, and these are the role models they tout to their little daughters.

I don't think that's fair. To anyone. And I think it may actually help to perpetuate gender inequality.

Switch gears with me a moment: Why do we honor Albert Einstein? Because he was a man, or because he was a brilliant scientist?
Why do we admire William Shakespeare? Because he was an man, or because he was an excellent writer?

But then, why do we revere Marie Curie? Because she was a famous woman, or because she was a great scientist? Why do we admire Amelia Erhart--because she was a woman, or because she was a daring aviatress? 

Yes, your little girls do need female role models. But so do your little boys. And your little boys and little girls also need male role models. I think the gender of those who accomplished great things in history is less important than the fact that they were human, and they accomplished great things. It doesn't matter the gender of your child's role models--I mean, who would have a problem with their daughter working to become as great an artist as Van Gogh, or their son aspiring to be as charitable as Mother Teresa? 

Putting only female role models up for little girls is doing everyone a disservice--the little girls who could aspire to be something different (and who would be led in these aspirations by male role models from history), the little boys who could aspire to be like a female role model from history, and society in general, which has a disgusting tendency to take innocent things like an emphasis on female historical figures and turn it into nasty things like gender inequality. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...