Skip to main content

Conservatism

I FINALLY figured it out--what it is that bugs me so much about the way some talk. This is it: the sum total of all my frustrated thinking.

The nation's problems, not to mention the world's problems, would not be fixed if everyone voted conservative, and if conservative politicians actually behaved. 

IT'S NOT THE ANSWER. Conservatism is good. At least in my opinion. Its goals are noble. Its policies seem sound. But it's not the end-of-all-your-searching, this-is-the-answer, just-vote-this-way. Don't drink that kool-aid. In the end, they're politicians too, and you taught me from childhood that politicians all want money. (Can you blame me for my mistrust?)
If all the conservatives voted, or if more people were conservative or WHATEVER, it wouldn't fix this nation's issues. Broaden your vision! You're acting like it's the answer, and it's not.
So maybe it's a very good step in the right direction.
But I promise you. It won't fix everything.
And I also promise you that liberals are not the cause of all the wrong and evil in this country. Neither are liberal republicans. Obama is not to blame. Obama is a result, not a cause, ya feel?
I realize it probably disappoints you that I think this way, and believe me, wanting to disappoint you of all people was the last thing on my mind when I began thinking this way. But from where I stand, though I'm young and inexperienced, it looks like the truth to me. So I'm going to stick to it. Maybe that will lead me to vote independent. Maybe that will lead me to vote conservative. Just, leave me to vote. Or even not to vote. I'm still figuring everything out. I hope you'll trust me to do so.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...