I've been thinking about my childhood today, because it's drizzling so lightly it's not even worthy to be called rain, and it's chilly outside, and my mom and my sister are cooking fall food. I'm wearing no makeup, jeans, and a hoodie. Playclothes, I like to call them. They're my favorite.
Below are collections of memories from growing up. It's basically just feels for me. haha
I grew up in Oregon, where it drizzles 9 months of twelve, and the rest of the time, is lovely and doesn't get too hot. My friends lived in my neighborhood, by and large. I lived in a little house with a big back yard, a playhouse, a trampoline, a sand box, a tree house, and a garden. I had (and still do have! <3) a loving family. My lovely and loving mother taught me at home, most of the time. I had good people to grow up with. And I had the rain. I didn't like the rain much then, but now it's my favorite thing. I love it when it looks like this outside:
The drizzle is my favorite.
I got lucky. In the summer my friends and I would play in my back yard, or we'd go down the street and take the footpath into Cook Park, where there was a stream or a playground, depending on where we wanted to go. In the summer, my family and I would pick the wild blackberries that grew in thick brambles everywhere down there and make them into jam.
There was a bus house in the neighborhood as well, a place where we could take refuge when it started to rain while we were out on a walk, but eventually we'd just have to put up our hoods and keep walking because it wasn't going to let up. Now, I wouldn't care.
I used to tramp around the neighborhood and the park without shoes on. If I had had a choice, I never would have worn shoes at all. I guess the hippie tilt could be explained by the fact that I lived in a suburb of Portland... (where, by the way, I hope to live again someday). I'm pretty sure I'm just like that anyway, though.
One time, W. and I were playing basketball in the cul-de-sac when it started to rain. We didn't want to stop playing basketball, so we didn't--we just played in the rain. And then we laughed and went home, and I hung up my shirt to dry on my closet door, because that was what I knew to do.
One of my favorite times was when C and B and G and I, and maybe some other kids, went down to the park and played in the stream. When we walked home, we tied our shoes together and hung them around our necks. I remember we used to debate about which way to walk, because there was the short way that was completely uphill, or the long way that had ups and downs.
A and I were childhood playmates, though I never thought of him that way. We played together from the time when we didn't know the difference to the time when playing with the other gender was awkward and we didn't really know how to do it. We almost died several times throughout all our exploits, or so I imagined. One time, he hopped the 6-foot fence. It wasn't fair when he got bigger than me, because I couldn't keep up with him anymore and hop the fence, too. Or one time he hid in the trash can for hide and seek. His favorite thing was to move around during hide and seek, and see how long he could go without getting caught. Sometimes we did that together. We never thought it was unfair. And I never realized that he was two years older than me, I mean, not really--not until he turned 19, and then I hadn't seen him in years. He just turned 21. That means I'm getting old. One of my oldest friends is a legal adult.
Fall was always my favorite season. I liked the chillier weather (hoodie weather ;). I liked fall food. I even liked the drizzle a little back then. My birthday was in the fall (still is), and so was Halloween, which has always been one of my favorites. Not because of tacky creepy things, but because of the community experience. (I miss that.) Candy wasn't bad either, but my favorite was just that there was all the friendliness and hot chocolate.
I was the original barefoot bluejeans girl. None of this country music nonsense. I loved books, I loved running around, I loved Legos. I loved being outside.
Hmm... I haven't really changed much. ^_^
Below are collections of memories from growing up. It's basically just feels for me. haha
I grew up in Oregon, where it drizzles 9 months of twelve, and the rest of the time, is lovely and doesn't get too hot. My friends lived in my neighborhood, by and large. I lived in a little house with a big back yard, a playhouse, a trampoline, a sand box, a tree house, and a garden. I had (and still do have! <3) a loving family. My lovely and loving mother taught me at home, most of the time. I had good people to grow up with. And I had the rain. I didn't like the rain much then, but now it's my favorite thing. I love it when it looks like this outside:
The drizzle is my favorite.
I got lucky. In the summer my friends and I would play in my back yard, or we'd go down the street and take the footpath into Cook Park, where there was a stream or a playground, depending on where we wanted to go. In the summer, my family and I would pick the wild blackberries that grew in thick brambles everywhere down there and make them into jam.
There was a bus house in the neighborhood as well, a place where we could take refuge when it started to rain while we were out on a walk, but eventually we'd just have to put up our hoods and keep walking because it wasn't going to let up. Now, I wouldn't care.
I used to tramp around the neighborhood and the park without shoes on. If I had had a choice, I never would have worn shoes at all. I guess the hippie tilt could be explained by the fact that I lived in a suburb of Portland... (where, by the way, I hope to live again someday). I'm pretty sure I'm just like that anyway, though.
One time, W. and I were playing basketball in the cul-de-sac when it started to rain. We didn't want to stop playing basketball, so we didn't--we just played in the rain. And then we laughed and went home, and I hung up my shirt to dry on my closet door, because that was what I knew to do.
One of my favorite times was when C and B and G and I, and maybe some other kids, went down to the park and played in the stream. When we walked home, we tied our shoes together and hung them around our necks. I remember we used to debate about which way to walk, because there was the short way that was completely uphill, or the long way that had ups and downs.
A and I were childhood playmates, though I never thought of him that way. We played together from the time when we didn't know the difference to the time when playing with the other gender was awkward and we didn't really know how to do it. We almost died several times throughout all our exploits, or so I imagined. One time, he hopped the 6-foot fence. It wasn't fair when he got bigger than me, because I couldn't keep up with him anymore and hop the fence, too. Or one time he hid in the trash can for hide and seek. His favorite thing was to move around during hide and seek, and see how long he could go without getting caught. Sometimes we did that together. We never thought it was unfair. And I never realized that he was two years older than me, I mean, not really--not until he turned 19, and then I hadn't seen him in years. He just turned 21. That means I'm getting old. One of my oldest friends is a legal adult.
Fall was always my favorite season. I liked the chillier weather (hoodie weather ;). I liked fall food. I even liked the drizzle a little back then. My birthday was in the fall (still is), and so was Halloween, which has always been one of my favorites. Not because of tacky creepy things, but because of the community experience. (I miss that.) Candy wasn't bad either, but my favorite was just that there was all the friendliness and hot chocolate.
I was the original barefoot bluejeans girl. None of this country music nonsense. I loved books, I loved running around, I loved Legos. I loved being outside.
Hmm... I haven't really changed much. ^_^

Comments
Post a Comment