Skip to main content

Real Success

This week, I was feeling stressed, overwhelmed, inadequate, and in WAY over my head. Often. I often came to the point of saying out loud (repeatedly) to the silence at work, "I can't do this." But just when I was feeling like I was failing and there was nothing I could do about it, the Lord whispered to me, "real success is different." He reminded me that real success was not measured in what quota I filled at work, or how my relationships were doing, or any of that, because sometimes that would be beyond my control. My real success in that situation was measured in my trust in the Lord and His timing. My success was measured by something I had complete control over. Something that was invisible to everyone but God and myself.

That was an important revelation to me, because I tend to measure my success in my accomplishments and the quality of my relationships, and when those things aren't working out for one reason or another, even if it's not my fault, I feel like I'm failing. But real success is measured entirely by things that we can control. That's the thing. I feel like success is always something that's between you and God. As long as you are constantly trying hard to focus on Him and always improve, even if you don't think you're succeeding, you ARE. 

God is your #1 fan. I promise you this. If we knew even a tiny fraction of the love He has for us or the degree to which He believes in us, we would be blown away. It's astonishing. It's unbelievable. It's all the lovely words and more. He not only wants us to succeed, but He believes we can. Coming from an all-wise and all-knowing Creator who cannot lie in any way, that's a pretty heavy vote of confidence. He loves us completely with a love that cannot be measured. Though it sounds cliche, I'll say it anyway: it's a love stronger than any distance. It's a love stronger than any seemingly-insurmountable obstacle. It's a love stronger than death. Taller than Everest, deeper than the Marianas Trench, and more vast than the universe. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...