Skip to main content

Gratitude

Gratitude.

I never really understood gratitude until I came to college. I wasn't a noticeably ungrateful person (at least, so I think to myself). But I wasn't a particularly grateful person, either. I took things for granted, often. And they were things that had been present my entire life, as present as the very air I breathe--it's only been scarce a couple times. Things like meals and having enough food, and home-cooked food on top of that. 

Here, almost everyone lives in varying degrees of poor-ness. Thus, you're more respectful of each other's things, especially consumable things like food and TP and stuff, because you're paying for it yourself and thought goes into how much money you have to spend on things. You're maybe a bit more territorial with your food, because you don't want someone else eating it just because.

But it's also really fantastic, at the same time. Because although everyone's poor, most everyone gets to the point where they're willing to share. First judiciously, then freely. When someone shares something with you, it comes to mean the world to you. Someone gives you food and you're like, "oh my gosh... THANK you!" Whereas before you were like, "uhh, thanks?"

Similarly, you don't have much time. So when you need something and people take time out of their schedule to do something for you, it really means a lot. There's a good 20 minutes they could have spent on homework, or sleeping, or having a social life. 

Stuff is just more scarce here, and when people share it with you, whether it's food or TP or time or company or advice or homework help... it's greatly appreciated. At least, that has been my experience. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...