Skip to main content

"Spring Break" and Facing Fears

Hey everyone! So, I'm on "spring break" this week... which is part of why the blog has a new design. No, not because I have more time, but because it's spring. Or it should be. It actually snowed the other day.

So, why is it "spring break" rather than spring break? 

1. It's not spring, like I already said. It's still cold here. Normally, I don't have a problem with that, but I'm getting a little bored of it. I'm ready for it to be balmy and warm, and I'm ready for things to start growing again. I'm ready for the mud to squish between my toes again. I'm even ready to paint my toenails (shocker) and start looking at spring clothing. Winter is getting old. 

2. It's not break! I'm actually busting my tail at science and other school this week, in an effort to get caught up, or mostly so. While on this topic, I would just like to mention that I have some pretty dang wonderful people in my life, including my very own dad, who is ready and willing to help me with science whenever I need it, even if it's late and there are other things he'd undoubtedly rather be doing (sleeping, anyone?). I also have a fantastic friend who volunteered his services with science this week, too. Both of you, thanks tons. I totally appreciate it. (:

Anyways, the real reason I'm writing this post.
This is spring break. And I'm not on break. Why? 
I have too much to do.
I actually had the option to relax this week, and do all the work in the coming weeks. That would have been easier in the short term... right about now, it's sounding pretty appealing. I had all these plans for spring break... like, maybe I could read Les Mis in a week, or Lord of the Rings. Maybe I'd finally have time for all these things I keep telling myself I'll do when I have time, or all the things of which I keep thinking, "if I only had a free week, I'd totally...." 
So why am I giving all this stuff up and putting myself through a kind of self-imposed torture?
Because I'm done running away. Yeah, getting caught up, especially in science, is hard. And painful. And I've been running away from it--that's why I got behind in the first place. But I'm sick of running away. I'm tired of having a pile of work lurking in the back of my mind. So this time, I'm not running away. This week, I'm facing it. Hopefully this means more time for fun in the future, right?
Anyways, it just occurred to me how important it is to face things that scare you--even silly things like science homework. Because if you can't face the "silly" things, how are you ever going to face the big, important things? You won't be ready. 
So I'm facing my science homework. What are you facing? 


(Random picture of buds in the spring from a year or two ago)

Comments

  1. Wow. That last bit was powerful!
    And... I think I'm inspired t go do the same, if I think about it, I've been doing just that, running away from the work, thinking that maybe if I ignore it long enough then it'll disappear. And I realize, I've just been running from it, cowering, doing work here and there but easily distracted because I don't want to fight it. Thanks! This is exactly what I needed!

    Now, if you'll pardon me, I have a day to seize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nate! It makes me happy when my posts inspire people. :D And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has been doing that... -.-
      Good luck! *Salutes* :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...