Oh man, guys. I've been having bucketloads of amazing epiphanies, and I'm super excited to share what I realized with all of you! There are a bunch of posts on the way... here's the first. (:
Why is the search for who we are as individuals--what makes us us--such a dominant theme in everything we as humans create? I can't begin to count the number of movies and books that revolve around this theme. Why do human beings love to hear about the quest to discover one's self?
Probably because each human being is trying to discover for themselves who they are. It's an eternal paradox, like the fact that we can't bite our own teeth, we can't see our own face without a mirror, we can't taste our own tongue. We love to see other people discover who they are because this is what we seek to discover every day of our own lives--it seems to be the #1 most important question to everyone. Who am I?
I recently watched Rise of the Guardians with my brothers. It's a kids' movie, but it illustrates a very good point. "Who are you, Jack Frost?" Santa asks. "What is your center?" Santa goes on to explain to Jack, the main character, that his center is wonder--which is why he runs Christmas. He wants to bring wonder to all the children around the world. Through the course of the movie, Jack discovers his own center. It is a powerful experience for him, and central to the plot of the movie.
When the it came to an end, I wondered about myself--I wondered what my own center was. What is it I care about more than anything? What do I want to do with myself? What am I willing to live every day to do? As I like to do, I began to talk the topic over with a friend of mine. As we were talking, we had a huge realization.
Our centers are the root of everything we want to do and become in this life. Our centers, therefore, are indicators of our mission.
Every human being is born with the skill set to complete his or her own mission, and the interest in that skill set, an interest in developing those talents. We actually have an interest in becoming who we were meant to be.
That's why they tell you to study what you want to study, become what you want to be. If you listen to your heart, to your center, when you study what you want to, you will be led to your mission. And your mission is at your center. Thus, acting on the things you feel drawn towards will help you find who you actually are, and fulfill the mission God has outlined for you.
Remember earlier when I talked about dreams, and getting in touch with my inner little girl? I think that's the same thing as getting in touch with your center. What is at your center? What is it you were born to do, to become? What were you born to give the world?
When we realize what is at our center--what we were born to do--what God created us to do--we will begin to realize our own mission in this life. Our lives start to make more sense and have more meaning and purpose. Our dreams begin to form more clearly. We get our priorities straighter. It's a powerful experience for us, just as it is a powerful experience for characters in books and movies. It's one of the Ultimate Adventures, the ones that we can experience ourselves.
So. What is it you have a desire to do, planted deep within your soul, that has been with you ever since you can remember? Finding this out will point you towards your mission, your purpose.
What is your center?
Why is the search for who we are as individuals--what makes us us--such a dominant theme in everything we as humans create? I can't begin to count the number of movies and books that revolve around this theme. Why do human beings love to hear about the quest to discover one's self?
Probably because each human being is trying to discover for themselves who they are. It's an eternal paradox, like the fact that we can't bite our own teeth, we can't see our own face without a mirror, we can't taste our own tongue. We love to see other people discover who they are because this is what we seek to discover every day of our own lives--it seems to be the #1 most important question to everyone. Who am I?
I recently watched Rise of the Guardians with my brothers. It's a kids' movie, but it illustrates a very good point. "Who are you, Jack Frost?" Santa asks. "What is your center?" Santa goes on to explain to Jack, the main character, that his center is wonder--which is why he runs Christmas. He wants to bring wonder to all the children around the world. Through the course of the movie, Jack discovers his own center. It is a powerful experience for him, and central to the plot of the movie.
When the it came to an end, I wondered about myself--I wondered what my own center was. What is it I care about more than anything? What do I want to do with myself? What am I willing to live every day to do? As I like to do, I began to talk the topic over with a friend of mine. As we were talking, we had a huge realization.
Our centers are the root of everything we want to do and become in this life. Our centers, therefore, are indicators of our mission.
Every human being is born with the skill set to complete his or her own mission, and the interest in that skill set, an interest in developing those talents. We actually have an interest in becoming who we were meant to be.
That's why they tell you to study what you want to study, become what you want to be. If you listen to your heart, to your center, when you study what you want to, you will be led to your mission. And your mission is at your center. Thus, acting on the things you feel drawn towards will help you find who you actually are, and fulfill the mission God has outlined for you.
Remember earlier when I talked about dreams, and getting in touch with my inner little girl? I think that's the same thing as getting in touch with your center. What is at your center? What is it you were born to do, to become? What were you born to give the world?
When we realize what is at our center--what we were born to do--what God created us to do--we will begin to realize our own mission in this life. Our lives start to make more sense and have more meaning and purpose. Our dreams begin to form more clearly. We get our priorities straighter. It's a powerful experience for us, just as it is a powerful experience for characters in books and movies. It's one of the Ultimate Adventures, the ones that we can experience ourselves.
So. What is it you have a desire to do, planted deep within your soul, that has been with you ever since you can remember? Finding this out will point you towards your mission, your purpose.
What is your center?
Wow! This is really powerful! Thanks....I needed this!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment, CaRynn! I'm glad to hear I'm making a difference and not just talking to a wall (or empty cyber space...haha).
Delete