What's your biggest, wildest dream? The dream that's most important to you?
This question stared out of the screen into my soul. What's your biggest, wildest dream? I blinked at it a couple of times. Stared.
I began reading responses. A surgeon. A well-known author. An excellent pianist. Leader of a nation. An astronaut. One response was a detailed, in-depth description of a simple, beautiful life. I decided to respond. I clicked "comment" and sat there, staring at the screen.
Why was I staring at the screen?
Once upon a time, I used to sit in my room and draw pictures and write and sing with my window open, breathing in equal parts fresh air and hopes. Dreams. I knew all these things that I wanted for myself. I had so detailed a description of what I wanted life to look like when I grew up that I could practically smell it. I thrived on that excitement as it pumped through my veins to the beat of my heart.
My world was very little back then, I won't hesitate to tell you. Granted, I've traveled a lot compared to some people, but I didn't understand the world. I was pretty ignorant.
Then I grew up and started to learn. My dreams, left over from my small-world paradigm, faded a bit, maybe got a little lost in the wonder that I found this bright world is. My ideas of what I want to be "when I grow up" got a little bit fuzzier, as I realized I had more interests and talents than what I already knew.
So then, sitting there staring at the screen, I had no idea what my biggest, wildest dream was.
I realized that in order to answer this question, I was going to have to do something that, tragically, I haven't done in a while. I was going to have to get in touch with the little girl in me again. She's the one who knows exactly what she wants out of this life, and exactly what dream is important to her. She is the one with the intense, passionate, burning thirst for adventure. She is the only one who can tell me what my biggest, wildest dreams are.
Unfortunately, getting in touch with her is not an effort that gets immediate results... it's a process. The fact that I haven't spoken with her in a while scares me a little bit, and I need to start that process immediately.
In the mean time, what did I comment?
"I want to make a difference somehow, like a serious difference. I plan to make a difference, not by being the leader of a nation (I don't think I'd be very good at that :P) but on a personal level. I want to be a mother. And I want to help people live beautiful, meaningful lives. Living a meaningful life is where really important change starts. So in order to do that, I'm educating myself. I also want to travel the world. I want to live the most meaningful life I can, because that's the only way I can help other people do the same."
This is one thing that myself and the little girl inside have always agreed on.
Well, soon I'll know. I intend never to forget again.
But what do you want out of this life? What's your biggest, wildest dream? The dream that's most important to you? If you don't know already, I suggest you find out. We can find out together.
Are you in?
(Inspired by Wesleigh S. To you, I have one thing to say:...good question...)
This question stared out of the screen into my soul. What's your biggest, wildest dream? I blinked at it a couple of times. Stared.
I began reading responses. A surgeon. A well-known author. An excellent pianist. Leader of a nation. An astronaut. One response was a detailed, in-depth description of a simple, beautiful life. I decided to respond. I clicked "comment" and sat there, staring at the screen.
Why was I staring at the screen?
Once upon a time, I used to sit in my room and draw pictures and write and sing with my window open, breathing in equal parts fresh air and hopes. Dreams. I knew all these things that I wanted for myself. I had so detailed a description of what I wanted life to look like when I grew up that I could practically smell it. I thrived on that excitement as it pumped through my veins to the beat of my heart.
My world was very little back then, I won't hesitate to tell you. Granted, I've traveled a lot compared to some people, but I didn't understand the world. I was pretty ignorant.
Then I grew up and started to learn. My dreams, left over from my small-world paradigm, faded a bit, maybe got a little lost in the wonder that I found this bright world is. My ideas of what I want to be "when I grow up" got a little bit fuzzier, as I realized I had more interests and talents than what I already knew.
So then, sitting there staring at the screen, I had no idea what my biggest, wildest dream was.
I realized that in order to answer this question, I was going to have to do something that, tragically, I haven't done in a while. I was going to have to get in touch with the little girl in me again. She's the one who knows exactly what she wants out of this life, and exactly what dream is important to her. She is the one with the intense, passionate, burning thirst for adventure. She is the only one who can tell me what my biggest, wildest dreams are.
Unfortunately, getting in touch with her is not an effort that gets immediate results... it's a process. The fact that I haven't spoken with her in a while scares me a little bit, and I need to start that process immediately.
In the mean time, what did I comment?
"I want to make a difference somehow, like a serious difference. I plan to make a difference, not by being the leader of a nation (I don't think I'd be very good at that :P) but on a personal level. I want to be a mother. And I want to help people live beautiful, meaningful lives. Living a meaningful life is where really important change starts. So in order to do that, I'm educating myself. I also want to travel the world. I want to live the most meaningful life I can, because that's the only way I can help other people do the same."
This is one thing that myself and the little girl inside have always agreed on.
Well, soon I'll know. I intend never to forget again.
But what do you want out of this life? What's your biggest, wildest dream? The dream that's most important to you? If you don't know already, I suggest you find out. We can find out together.
Are you in?
(Inspired by Wesleigh S. To you, I have one thing to say:...good question...)
Comments
Post a Comment