Skip to main content

Undeserved

I've been overloaded with feelings lately, friends. But I wanted to share this quote with you. It comes from this talk from the April 2000 LDS General Conference.

"While visiting the British Museum in London one day, I read a most unusual book. It is not scripture. It is an English translation of an ancient Egyptian manuscript. From it, I quote a dialogue between the Father and the Son. Referring to His Father, Jehovah—the premortal Lord—says:

“He took the clay from the hand of the angel, and made Adam according to Our image and likeness, and He left him lying for forty days and forty nights without putting breath into him. And He heaved sighs over him daily, saying, ‘If I put breath into this [man], he must suffer many pains.’ And I said unto My Father, ‘Put breath into him; I will be an advocate for him.’ And My Father said unto Me, ‘If I put breath into him, My beloved Son, Thou wilt be obliged to go down into the world, and to suffer many pains for him before Thou shalt have redeemed him, and made him to come back to his primal state.’ And I said unto My Father, ‘Put breath into him; I will be his advocate, and I will go down into the world, and will fulfill Thy command.’”"

Definitely started crying in the library when I read that.

So circumstances lately have brought some pretty gruesome things to my attention--things that people do to each other. These are extremely difficult topics. They make everyday problems look like tiny specs in comparison.

Can people heal from being victims of such brutality?

Can people heal from being... perpetrators of such brutality?

Can the Lord Jesus Christ heal the human race?

I have to believe He can. He has healed me before. I believe and I hope that He will heal me again. I believe and I hope that He will heal those whose difficulties are a thousand times worse than my own.
I believe and I hope that those who do horrific things can also be forgiven and healed. For those who are willing to change, justice has already been served--to the One who volunteered to advocate.
I have to believe that healing and forgiveness are possible because they've been possible for me before and if they have been possible for me before they have to be possible for everyone, always, unconditionally.

I have to believe in healing and forgiveness. I have to believe in a life where pain and death aren't a thing anymore, where there's nothing but completeness and joy. I have to believe in it because otherwise I will faceplant and never get up again.
Maybe it sounds idealistic and childish, but I believe that the Lord will keep His promises. He has a plan for all of us, that none of us understand completely. His ultimate goal is for us to have joy. He WILL do EVERYTHING He can do to make that happen. For all of us. Each. Individually. Unconditionally. Though none of us could ever deserve it if we lived 1000 years'-worth of a dedicated life...
Christ came anyway.
He atoned; He now advocates. He heals. He forgives. In His infinite, eternal love, He wants us all back.
And that love will forever and always be undeserved.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...