Skip to main content

changing

Hi :)

I'm gonna give this another try.

Changing your life is hard. Sometimes you do it because you want to and sometimes you do it even though you don't want to, and either way it's difficult.
I've been doing a fair amount of both lately.

It's also difficult when you don't know what direction you're going, or even where exactly you're starting from.

It makes me smile to think about how before I wanted nothing more than to travel the world. I thought that that was the ultimate thing I wanted out of life: adventure. Kayaking, climbing, biking and hiking sounded like a good way to spend my life. 
Hey, I won't pretend there isn't part of me that's all over that, because I'd be lying. I'd still love to travel the world. I still want to adventure all the time. I am already dying for it to be springtime--and it's only November.
But now there's a new part of me. I want to work. I want to get settled, live somewhere where I'm going to stay, start making friends I know I can have for a while, even start to date. Have enough money to take my friends out to lunch on their birthdays or if they're having a hard day. Start being an adult for real. And that's what I want to do now. When did that begin?
I want to change, but I want to change so I'm more responsible, caring and selfless. 
I also want to change it so that I'm moving more purposefully towards what I want to actually do with myself long-term. 

There's so much I want for my life.
I guess, little by little, I need to reinvent myself. 
Obviously I still have my entire life behind me, and my friends from before, and my past self as a frame of reference; but if I ever expect to make anything out of my "new self", and the time that's ahead of me, I've got to change some things. It's not like I can go on expecting everything to change if I'm going to do everything exactly the same... I think that would define me as insane. ;)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...