Skip to main content

12 weeks

hey! I'm writing you a post again. 

I've been back for a little over 12 weeks, which is like... Almost 3 months. Could that be true?

I turned 21 the other day and approaching 3 months home is awesome. Because even though it's very bittersweet, here they'll make fun of you gently if you're too recent off mission. I know I'm going to get similar treatment for another three months or so, and it isn't terrible, I just like being seen as a person rather than a "super fresh off the plane RM." I mean, it's not a huge deal, just who likes getting comments like "WOAH, you're FRESH!....and you're at a dance?!" Haha Thanksssss....... But whatever. 

Last night I was reading something somewhat nostalgic and thinking about how I'm not who I was. I think one of the things that continues to be hard for me is being caught between this idea of who I was before, who I am now, who I want to be, and who I am expected to be by different parties. It's hard because the expectations are all based on different things and have grown to be very, very different. For the first time, the phrase "you can't please everyone" is gaining significance for me. Guys, I got over the uncomfortableness of hugs and dancing and wearing pants and listening to music and being alone, and even over a little of the awkwardness of socializing and of wasting time, and I can stay up late now and everything, and even though I'm still terribly awkward about some things (movies, shirtless guys, the internet, Gospel discussions, etc...) this is by far the hardest part. 
Why? Because it means letting go of some things. And it means being let go of, and I'm not sure which is harder. It means sometimes you feel lost between all of these different versions of yourself because now there's literally nobody who has been everywhere you've been. Maybe you had people who were updated on your whole life before, but you left them behind for your mission. (Plus you may or may not be sure that the person you were before is real. You don't remember her very well.) Maybe you had people who knew your whole mission, but this is real life now, and they don't know the "regular" version of you. (Plus you may or may not be sure if your mission was real in the first place, or if it was just a dream too.) (Is everything just a dream? Maybe so.)
Besides all that, everyone else is different too. And you feel like everything is different. It's kinda disorienting when you stop to think about it (not a recommended course of action). You eventually start to wonder when, if ever, life is going to be normal again, but you also wonder if that's even what you want in the first place. You wish you could change the world instead of changing yourself. And then you get back to where you started, stuck between who you were, who you are, who you want to be, and what others are expecting from you, and then you just feel weird and realize that's been a permanent condition for a while, and probably will continue to be so.

As disorienting as it is, coming home has been a spiritual experience for me. Well, it still is. Because I'm still arriving, in a way. Everything is still putting itself back together. It's weird. But it's ok. I don't know what things are supposed to look like or a whole lot about what I'm supposed to do with my life, but I know I'm in the right place. And that's enough for me to go on for now. 

Catherine.

Comments

  1. Wow. It is very weird to be struck between versions of yourself. It's weird how we were basically the same person when we lived together and now we're so different and do not relate on a lot of things. I think, like President Uchtdorf said, change is weird because we're eternal beings. Anyway, I love you always <3 be yourself, care the most about what God thinks. I do not know if any of this was the right thing to say or if it even applies.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...