Skip to main content

just dreaming

I've always wanted a 15-passenger van. I'd call it the adventure van or something like that. Me and a bunch of my friends will load into it with all our personal climbing gear and we'll strap an inflatable boat up top and take off. Maybe it's an oft-repeated dream, but really? I just want to go road trippin' with people I love. We'll all sing loud and really off-key, we'll stink, we'll all lay on top of each other when we get tired, we'll draw on each others' hands and arms and faces. Maybe we'll have deep discussions about life and the Gospel and what happiness really is, and how we get it. Maybe we'll end up with 43 inside jokes at the end of the day--say one word and we dissolve into peals of laughter. One or two rows of seats will be taken out and we'll have a cooler full of food for munching on--healthy stuff, like hummus and crackers and carrots and stuff. Lots of apples. Berries. Juice. Dried fruit, nuts and cheese. Plus some of the less-healthy classic traveling foods, like tortilla chips and candy. Maybe some Dibs.

Camping, climbing, hiking, embarrassing photos, epic photos, boating and music-making will be mandatory. As will awkward moments, especially as they relate to people ending up with their heads and/or legs in other people's laps. We'll be the noisy crowd of kids that troops into a slow little restaurant and freaks out the employees with our weird behavior, but ends up surprising them because we didn't make a mess and actually left it cleaner than we found it. Dirty hands and faces will be normal. Complaining about how ugly we look will also be normal. Makeup will be strictly forbidden because we want to see who our friends really are, not who they pretend to be. There's something magic about raw faces, and we're going to pretty much bathe in that magic.

The van will be piled full of travel essentials like blankets, pillows, and sweatshirts. We'll all get sandal tans and we'll make bracelets for each other and we'll end up with many weird pictures of each other doing things that nobody else will understand. We'll leave a mark on this world and the world will leave its mark on our retinas. We'll be in love with life and we'll love each other and we'll be in love with the world and with adventure and authenticity and abundance of life.

You in?


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...