Skip to main content

Catherine: a balancing act

There are so many wonderful people in this world--people I aspire to be like. I like her attitude and his turn of phrase. I like her mannerisms and I like the way he makes people feel. I like this and I like that, and I want to be like that. 

But in my eagerness to become more like those whom I admire, I sometimes forget that I was made uniquely Catherine. I will never be you. I will never be anyone else I look up to. And while it is good for me to emulate some of their traits--while that would benefit me and make me into a better person--some of their traits are as uniquely theirs and different from mine as mine are uniquely mine and different from theirs. If that makes any sense at all.

For example, I realized recently that there are a few people I will never be like because we don't have the same temperament. The fact that I'm a pretty dang chill person prevents me from being like some of those I look up to, but that's not a bad thing. I have to constantly remind myself to embrace myself as a chill human and remember that the fact that I am exactly as I am is going to touch somebody(s) that nobody else can touch, because nobody else is Catherine. 

The world needs a Catherine... and that means I can't be wrapped up in being too much like anyone else. So while I must constantly aspire in order to stay alive, I must aspire within the bounds of staying myself. And ultimately, the only human I can really aspire to be exactly like is the perfect version of myself. She lives inside me. She fights to get out every day. When I do wrong, I'm fighting against her. But I'm also fighting against her when I tell her she's not perfect and I try to be different from who she is.

Not okay.

Perfect Catherine lives inside me. She's a balancing act that I can't seem to get quite right. But I'll never stop trying. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...