Skip to main content

Guest Post: Kimberly

This was kind of an unintended guest post, written by my lovely cousin Kimberly as an opinion essay. I hope you enjoy it! Comment below to show her the love. ;)

Sir Winston Churchill once said, “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Although this seems counter­intuitive, further analysis shows this is a true statement and a recipe for living a full and happy life. 

In life, a person's attitude is what makes or breaks him or her. Everything ends at some point – snow, summer vacations, parties with friends, a car running properly, even life itself. What can help a person succeed in life is having an attitude of embracing each season as it happens, and the endings that lead to new beginnings. After the passing of a loved one, the one of the only things keeping grieving relatives going is the hope that the future can be bright, even in the face of their loss. When a businessman looses his business, having an attitude of hope brings him through the experience and allows him to learn from past mistakes and do better in the future. Attitude is what brings success [from] failure.

Another way to interpret this saying is that success comes at the end of many failures. Every new invention begins with an initial model, but never is that original the finished product. Rather, it takes hundreds of adjustments before the creation is complete. Thomas Edison did not invent the lightbulb in one day, neither did the Wright brothers with their flying machine. In both cases, there were many failed attempts, but they did not give up and kept their enthusiasm for their work. Success only comes at the end of what seem at the time to be failures.

When someone can live life happily no matter what happens, they have truly succeeded. He or she experiences true happiness, and is able to do things others are unable to do. When the business that individual has built fails or he or she looses their job, he or she looks at the situation in a positive way. In this new place they can learn new things and meet new people, and have experiences they would not have otherwise. Someone once said, “Life is not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.” This attitude makes individuals resilient and able to cope with changes more effectively than those who fear the future because of those changes.

In conclusion, when a person is able to cultivate an attitude of embracing change, persistence, and happiness, they are able to be truly successful in their endeavors. Truly, the ability to go “from one failure to another....with enthusiasm” is what can bring a man or woman out on top throughout the roller coasters of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...