Skip to main content

Why I Run

Eew. Worst idea ever. Why am I going running... again? My lungs burn as the searing, chilly air travels through my thirsty throat. My complaining body feels heavy with each step. My shoulders feel tight (not that that's anything new, but...). I look up to see how far I've gone, then have to remind myself to watch the ground so I don't get discouraged. Mind over matter. Suck air in. Blow air out. Keep breathing. Why did I think this was a good idea? I don't even like running. 

Why did I go running in the first place? 
The answer, part 1: I have so many runner friends, and they talk about it with such passion, that I figure, "it should feel good, right? (Granted, not all their stories are about how good it felt--there are those stories where they're like, "...then I threw up. I'm pretty sure I was crying for about an hour after that", but that's not what I'm talking about.) So my subconscious mind thinks, "it'll feel great! Let's go!"

The answer, part 2: I run because I can not think when I run. I don't know where my mind is--I never remember afterwards what I thought about the whole time--but what I do know is, whatever thoughts or feelings or dilemmas are torturing me while I'm in the house, they will go away as soon as I pick up my feet. 

The answer, part 3: It's a little-known Catherine quirk that I really, really like to go fast. It's actually kind of a miracle that I don't speed allllll the time. ;)

The answer, part 4: I have a seldom-acted-on desire to work out a lot.

So there are my reasons. But obviously they don't stand up to burning lungs and a pounding heart. ;) It's not enough to keep me going. So I told you why I leave the house to run; but why do I finish?

I finish to put my mind over matter. I finish to put the eventual over the immediate. I finish to prove to myself that I can do what is painful even when it would be so easy for me to stop. There are times when I will give up and start to walk. But then I remind myself, mind over matter. This has become my running motto:


I stop when I'm done. I stop when I'm done. I don't stop when I'm tired. My body can't beat me. I stop when I'm done.

I don't know how long I'll keep running. I might just give it up forever sometime soon, if I decide it's not worth it. 

But for now, I run. 

I run to learn that I am more than I think I am.


 

Comments

  1. **applauds you** Good for you!! Haha...I....dislike running as well....but erm.... yeah you're a better person than me in that aspect....... regardless of the fact that my dance teacher would kill me if I ran.... haha but I really do applaud you! And I shall cheer from the sidelines. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks. (; And you're a better person than me in the aspect that you exercise. 'Cause dance counts as exercise. Butyeah, I don't exercise... like at all... soyeah. Haha! So this is me applauding you and cheering from the sidelines, too. (;

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...