Skip to main content

The Gut Sense

Last Saturday, I climbed a tree. It was the first time I'd really climbed a good tree for five years or so (tragically). It's not like I've been glued to the ground for those five years--I've been up high plenty of times--just not tree-climbing.

Now, there's something you must understand. As a kid, I was the most daring (or stupid; I still haven't decided which it was) tree-climber I knew. When the kids from church all climbed that extremely tall evergreen in back of the church, I always went the highest. When the bark started to get flaky and the branches started to sway, they stopped, but I kept going. I put my weight on several branches at once and always got a good grip, not letting the flaky bark betray me. I wasn't afraid: I loved the feeling of being as far away from the ground as possible (I still do). 
But it's been a long time since I climbed a tree, and on Saturday, I noticed a dramatic difference in my climbing style. Not only was I more cautious because I was wearing nicer clothes (WHAT HAS GROWING UP DONE TO ME?!? D:), but I was more cautious because of something inside of me.

Fear.

Fear of falling. Fear that I was too heavy and something would break. Lack of trust in my hand- and footholds. I didn't fully trust the tree and I didn't fully trust myself. 
Don't get me wrong, it was way cool to be in a tree again, but it was so different it shocked me. When did I stop feeling the connection with the tree, the air, the space between the ground and my body, and my body itself, that I became afraid? That I stopped trusting? 
I wasn't a very trusting child, not of people anyways. I can't remember a time when I fully believed in Santa Clause (though I would have never admitted that to anyone else--to be honest, my lack of faith disturbed me ;). But I knew how to live by my gut sense, and the things I felt about the world. I had a bit of a gut sense about life as I did about trees.
I still have a gut sense. But I stopped trusting it at some point. I'm afraid to trust it. Afraid it will betray me, that it will be wrong, that it will fail, or that I won't be connected enough to it. But I think I need to fix that. It's so much easier and more exhilerating to navigate a tree with intuition rather than fear--and I imagine life is the same way.


    

Comments

  1. Chip! I love this! :) I've actually been writing a post similar to this(: But I feel the same way!
    Stay awesome chip!
    <3 wes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! Great minds think alike. :D Thanks for your comments, Wes! Stay awesome yourself! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...