Skip to main content

This World is Absurd

So guys, I've been doing a lot of studying lately (fancy that). One of my most recent conclusions is this: the world is absolutely absurd. Not just sometimes, but most of the time.

Let's take an example. The South China Sea is the center of a lot of sharp conflict these days. It has at least six different countries fighting over the sea space and the islands within it, because there are a lot of natural resources to be claimed (such as oil, natural gas, and lots of fish), and more than half of the world's sea-shipped merchandise passes through there. Everyone wants a piece of that pie, so naturally, they are all fighting over it. 

I don't know about you, but this strikes me as rather absurd. If you and I are arguing over a patch of ground that neither of us can prove is rightfully ours, then the natural thing for us to do is share our patch of ground. Why don't countries share the South China Sea like they share Antarctica? (For some reason, we never find ourselves fighting over land that we found in Antarctica...)

Yes, I realize that this idea is probably completely unrealistic when it comes to actually instituting it as a policy, but it's worth the thought and consideration. Governments are generally known to be human nature on an unreasonably large scale, but instead of behaving like adults, like they ought to be taught to do, we allow them to behave like children. And unfortunately, that goes in more ways than just what's going on in the South China Sea. 

 Keep an eye on that area of the world, though. Some interesting things are going to happen there. Here's an article if you have the time and are interested.

That's all for now! I'll keep you posted. (:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...