Skip to main content

Skin-Deep

Ever since I can remember, I have been unable to sit still like a normal person. Not only am I naturally fidgety, but I'm always--always--so dang itchy. 

It's called eczema. It's a genetic skin condition that causes me to be itchy nearly all the time, in a number of different areas. As a kid, I was always itchy in the hollows of my elbows and knees, and other odd places; now I'm itchy on my neck, shoulders, and arms, mainly, with different areas flaring at different times. 

Not only am I just itchy, but my skin gets dry and cracked, and because it's itchy, I scratch it, and it gets red, inflamed, and raw, and often bloody. (Therefore, if you see me with scratches and scabs on my arms and neck, please don't be alarmed... your lack of alarm will be noticed and appreciated. :)

I always used to wonder, before I was fully used to the fact that I was stuck with this pesky condition, why I had it. I would complain about the numerous topical things I had to put on. One time my dad tried to tell me, while putting ointment on the torn-up insides of my elbows, that this skin condition was a blessing I had been given. He told me that perhaps it was there so that I wouldn't take my skin for granted, and that I would take good care of it. He didn't convince me, but that conversation from years ago has stayed in my memory. And last night, I finally realized one very excellent blessing that has come from this VERY annoying skin condition.

It is painfully obvious to me that my skin is far from flawless. It may have been because of this, or it may be because of something else; but I realized that there's not a chance, in this life, that my body will ever be really flawless. Not a chance. So, I learned to look beyond physical appearances. I learned that beauty is something that comes from the inside out--from living a good life. 

 In other words, this skin condition is a daily, ever-present reminder that, though physical beauty is nice, the really important kind of beauty is the kind that goes much more than skin-deep. :)

Comments

  1. Dearest ChocoChip,

    You are beautiful inside AND out....just wanted you to know that...I'm constantly jealous of your natural beauty...and the fact that you're so dang photogenic. Rawrves ya!

    Simmy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, jealous of my natural beauty and photogenicness?? Nonsense. (; You've got at least as much.
      Thanks, m'dear Simmy! ^_^

      Rawrve,
      ChocoChip

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...