Skip to main content

Best days of our lives

I hate endings. Especially sad ones--endings where the characters have to say goodbye, or a character loses something special to him. Not only do I hate endings in books and movies, I hate them in my own life--when a transition comes, it makes me want to cry every time. Things like moving, leaving youth conferences--like LDSHE or EFY--or graduating, as I'll be doing this spring. I hate saying goodbye to great experiences, or to friends whom I won't see for a year or more or maybe even forever. Not only that, but my past stays on my mind: a certain song, picture, phrase, even just a word, can bring it all flooding back. And it gives me an ache inside. I just really, really, really don't like endings.



But I was listening to this song the other night (as I have for a while, but I've never had this realization before), and it hit me in a way it never had before that every ending was really a beginning in disguise. Every time a good thing comes to an end, it's an opportunity for another good thing to come and take its place. When I move away from a place, though it breaks my heart, I learn so much from the experience. When I leave a youth conference, I have the chance to turn around and share what I've learned and bless others. When I graduate this spring, I'll be on to new adventures. It's not like there's a limit on fun in our lives. It goes on. And on. And on.  
Not only this, but also, I realized that if I focus too much on the past, I blind myself to what is happening in my present. I miss out on all the good times I could be having because I'm too busy thinking about good times that I can't have anymore. There are opportunities seize, views to enjoy, and good things to experience at all times, and if I'm too focused on what I wish hadn't ended, I'll miss these. 
Still, I have a hard time with the notion that endings are beginnings. "Why can't good things just go on forever?" I always find myself wondering. "Why did it have to end so soon?"--but it's not an ending. It's a chance to make a new start. Have a fresh go at life. A blessing. In a really painful wrapper. 
But the good times don't end. Remember when you were a kid and thought adults were boring? I remember specifically being worried that I would be too boring to have any fun by the time I was fourteen years old. And I can tell you right now, I have more fun now than I did when I was fourteen... and that just keeps on happening. Every time I think life is going to get boring by the time ________(fill in the blank), it just...doesn't. And I suppose it'll go on that way. 
So I'm trying to change my attitude. I hate endings still, but I'm trying to view them through a different lens: the lens of, "I'm thankful I had this experience. It's changed me in innumerable ways. But now it's time to move on, and new things are ready to be learned and experienced, and new people are waiting to be met. What am I to do now?"

Comments

  1. Interesting, Cuz. I suppose I had the same problem this year not being able to be in co-op anymore. I'm still trying to hold onto those experiences, but they were only there when I needed them. Now that I don't, I need to concentrate on what I need now... anyways.
    Love you!
    Quim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...