Skip to main content

Awe

When was the last time you thought about something beautiful and amazing and it really struck you? Perhaps you noticed the expansive massiveness of the heavens or noticed the beautiful precision with which the edges of a roseleaf are formed. Maybe you saw the perfect little features of a newborn baby, fresh from heaven--her eyelids, ears, and little fingers perfect, tiny replicas of her parents' features, but at the same time, completely unique. Maybe you thought about your situation in life and it blew you away how you were born under the exact circumstances you were. Maybe you paused your busy life to enjoy the smell of a strawberry field in the early summer, took time to catch snowflakes on your tongue, or took in a beautiful forest full of flaming gold and red trees in the fall. Or maybe it was just a new idea that came to you, and suddenly, you knew your world would never be the same again.
Do you love this feeling as much as I do? I actually go looking for these feelings. They give me such a sense of elation. They are one way I feel the love of God in my life. A lot of times people think that the love of God comes through a feeling that He gives us, and though I'm not going to contradict that, I would also submit that he shows his love like humans do: through actions.
Check out this video. It's beautiful, isn't it? Isn't it remarkable that God would give us something so beautiful just for us to look at? 

Science is beginning to show that this feeling of *mind blown* is really good for us. Having our mind blown, or in other words, having a paradigm shift or experiencing awe, gives the human soul feelings of compassion and empathy, unselfishness, and generally just makes you feel good. The video I'm about to show you will tell you a little bit more about that. 
But before I redirect you there, can I tell you the thoughts that I had as I first contemplated this subject? Isaiah 5 says, "Woe unto them that...regard not the work of the Lord, neither consider the operation of his hands." To me, this means that people are in for some trouble who do not take the time on a regular basis to be awed. People who don't take the time to consider the creations of God, and his mercy and goodness. Who never pause to think about the staggeringly amazing fact that they even exist! Further, it's astonishing that you are able to read this: that means that you're in a place where you were given an education, and you're in a place where you have access to computers, and you're in a position where you have time to be idly browsing this blog.

To sum up, awe is a feeling that expands our mental horizons and helps us more fully embrace our own humanity. It helps us sense God's love in our life. Awe is something God wants us to experience regularly, and luckily for us, it's one of those things that is good to do, not just because He wants us to, but because it's just so awesome all by itself. :)

Ok...here is the promised video. Prepare your mind to be blown. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...