Skip to main content

"Tender Mercies"

"But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."
1 Nephi 1:20

I'm not going to lie, I think this is my newest favorite scripture.
I recently restarted the Book of Mormon (this is my sixth time). This scripture jumped out at me a little bit. I I knew I had learned something about the tender mercies of the Lord, but I couldn't remember what it was, exactly. I noted the scripture and moved on.

A couple of days later, in Seminary (an early-morning religious class for highschool students), we came across this scripture. Well, that's kind of an understatement; it was the focus of our lesson. We learned that tender mercies are gifts from God that He sends us, because of our faith, when we need strength beyond our own to do the things which we are called upon to do.


 
Okay, change of gears. Remember last post when I was complaining? (I'm sorry to have put you through that, by the way.) Let me tell you something I've learned since then.
Life is rough sometimes. (It seems like this is a lesson that Catherine has to learn over... and over... and over...) Even when it's not, like, super rough so that you feel oh-so-down all day every day (though there are those times, too, and they are the worst), it's still hard, to some degree. That's something I've never really noticed before: the perpetual hardness of life.
Which is what makes the perpetual power of Christ's Atonement both so vital and so astonishingly wonderful. (See how I brought that back around? :) Because life is hard  all the time, Christ's Atonement is there all the time. And when we need some strength to keep going, whether it's a normal day or one of those awful days/hours/weeks/months/years, His grace provides that strength, if we turn to Him. Even though he won't usually take the burden away, especially if it's something hard but necessary like job hunting, school, or just plain life, He can make our burdens light, like He did for Alma.
Thinking of all this during Seminary, I had kind of a mind-blown moment. Or rather, a mind-blown half-of-Seminary... because I caught a sudden glimpse of the very, very real fact that He was with me every step I took, supporting me and enabling me to do what I do day by day; and without His power, I would have shriveled up or blown up or given up or something long ago.

The point? Well, I have certainly seen His hand in my life this week, as I do all the time, when I'm looking for it. I got one job and was offered another this week, but possibly even more precious to me are the little things that I know were sent from Him: a certain song on the radio, a friend who said something to me at just the right time, a day with beautiful weather, etc.. I believe He sends these things to us for us to notice and thank Him for. Little things to lift our mood, give us strength, and remind us that He is aware of us; that He loves us, and He will always be there to help us; and that, if we have faith, these tender mercies will always be available to us.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...