It's time I acknowledged a phenomenon. It's weird, and it's been going on for a while. Quite a while, actually. But it just now turned this weird.
I'm growing up.
How do I know?
I'm looking for a job. I have a driver's license. I actually like tomatoes now. I graduated from high school. I'm taking the ACT and doing college applications. I'm going to get luggage. I'm a laurel: all the 12-year-old kids look at me like, "wowwww, she's beautiful and perfect and I want to be like her someday" (a look I'm still not comfortable receiving). And I am going to be a legal adult in ten weeks.
I look around at some of my friends who were in my position just one or two years ago. They look like adults. Guys, in one or two years, I'm going to look like an adult.
Pardon me while I go freak out a little bit.
A friend recently compared life to a river that swept her along so fast she barely had time to glance at amazing people and experiences that she passed by on her way. I'm inclined to agree with her. As I look back on my life, it seems like it has gone so fast up to this point. The last three years have flashed by in a blur. ...which makes it kind of scary to think about the next three years. In three years, give or take, I'll be off my church mission, getting ready for school, whether at BYU-Provo, BYU-Idaho, SVU, George Wythe, or wherever I decide to go, I have no clue. I'll be a fully legal adult (21 and all that). I'll be pretty much fully on my own. I'll be looking for a husband, and going to all my friends' weddings. IS THIS NOT SCARY?!
But you know what's most scary to me?
It's the little things, like the fact that I'm going to buy my own groceries. I've bought groceries before, so it should be only a mild to moderate adventure (food shopping never goes completely smoothly for me. Let's not talk about that ;). But it's the fact that I'll be the one buying them. For me. I'm going to have my own laptop--that means it's mine, and I'll set my own rules. I'm going to set my own curfew, arrange my own schedule. On Sunday mornings, it'll be me taking me to church. And I'm not going to have a family to sit with. Just Catherine, by herself on a pew until she makes some friends. (Then I'm going to sit with friends at church, and that's going to be the weirdest.) When I sleep in, that will be lame, because Mom won't be there to be backup alarm. :P When I go somewhere, I'll have to run over my checklist in my head and make sure I have my keys, because nobody's going to be doing that for me. I'll be my own boss.
Never have I valued parents, older siblings, aunts and uncles, mentors, teachers, and adult friends so much in my life. Never have I listened with so much concentration every time advice was given. Never have I been so terrified to face the next step in my entire life.
Never have I been more excited.
I struggle to put this feeling into words, but I don't know why I bother, because it seems like if it could be done, it would have been done a long time ago, and I would have heard it or read it. There's no way I can describe this to people who haven't experienced it, and I don't really need to describe it to people who have, do I? But I'm petrified and impatient and eager and restless and afraid. Part of me wants to go back to life as a kid, but part of me is fighting the bit, just barely contained out of wild excitement for the next phase. But it's by no means going to be easy...
I don't know how to tie this song in well, but it's somehow applicable, and I love it, and it made me cry the first several times I heard it.
Here goes--I'm growing up.
I'm growing up.
How do I know?
I'm looking for a job. I have a driver's license. I actually like tomatoes now. I graduated from high school. I'm taking the ACT and doing college applications. I'm going to get luggage. I'm a laurel: all the 12-year-old kids look at me like, "wowwww, she's beautiful and perfect and I want to be like her someday" (a look I'm still not comfortable receiving). And I am going to be a legal adult in ten weeks.
I look around at some of my friends who were in my position just one or two years ago. They look like adults. Guys, in one or two years, I'm going to look like an adult.
Pardon me while I go freak out a little bit.
A friend recently compared life to a river that swept her along so fast she barely had time to glance at amazing people and experiences that she passed by on her way. I'm inclined to agree with her. As I look back on my life, it seems like it has gone so fast up to this point. The last three years have flashed by in a blur. ...which makes it kind of scary to think about the next three years. In three years, give or take, I'll be off my church mission, getting ready for school, whether at BYU-Provo, BYU-Idaho, SVU, George Wythe, or wherever I decide to go, I have no clue. I'll be a fully legal adult (21 and all that). I'll be pretty much fully on my own. I'll be looking for a husband, and going to all my friends' weddings. IS THIS NOT SCARY?!
But you know what's most scary to me?
It's the little things, like the fact that I'm going to buy my own groceries. I've bought groceries before, so it should be only a mild to moderate adventure (food shopping never goes completely smoothly for me. Let's not talk about that ;). But it's the fact that I'll be the one buying them. For me. I'm going to have my own laptop--that means it's mine, and I'll set my own rules. I'm going to set my own curfew, arrange my own schedule. On Sunday mornings, it'll be me taking me to church. And I'm not going to have a family to sit with. Just Catherine, by herself on a pew until she makes some friends. (Then I'm going to sit with friends at church, and that's going to be the weirdest.) When I sleep in, that will be lame, because Mom won't be there to be backup alarm. :P When I go somewhere, I'll have to run over my checklist in my head and make sure I have my keys, because nobody's going to be doing that for me. I'll be my own boss.
Never have I valued parents, older siblings, aunts and uncles, mentors, teachers, and adult friends so much in my life. Never have I listened with so much concentration every time advice was given. Never have I been so terrified to face the next step in my entire life.
Never have I been more excited.
I struggle to put this feeling into words, but I don't know why I bother, because it seems like if it could be done, it would have been done a long time ago, and I would have heard it or read it. There's no way I can describe this to people who haven't experienced it, and I don't really need to describe it to people who have, do I? But I'm petrified and impatient and eager and restless and afraid. Part of me wants to go back to life as a kid, but part of me is fighting the bit, just barely contained out of wild excitement for the next phase. But it's by no means going to be easy...
I don't know how to tie this song in well, but it's somehow applicable, and I love it, and it made me cry the first several times I heard it.
Here goes--I'm growing up.
Chip, this post is amazing! It's how I'm starting to feel too... :P Oh well, all is well in Zion! :D
ReplyDeleteTrust me, it only gets worse! ;) Good luck!
DeletePahahaha! Chip, I've been trying to avoid that thought lately. ;) Life in high school seems so blissful compared to the uncertainty of venturing out into the world...but you totally got this. No doubt about it!
DeleteHaha, sorry I made you confront it. :P And yes... yes it does. Thanks!
DeleteWe need to talk sometime soon, about this or whatever else. I'm afraid I've been suffering Sanneke shortage in my life. I don't know how people who don't know you go on surviving. ;) Haha! You rock my socks. :D