Skip to main content

Change of plans

Well, that was unexpected.

Sometimes, for reasons that fall beyond our scope of comprehension, God takes our lives and flips them on their heads. And we cry a little, or maybe a lot. And we wonder why.
And sometimes, He takes our lives and flips them on their heads, and we watch with this deer-in-the-headlights look, because it's all too good to be true.

Ladies. Gentlemen. Children of all ages. Although Monday morning I didn't know if I was going to go to Elevation this August, by Monday night, it was decided that not only would I go there, but I would go to Arizona to visit my cousins (who double as my besties), camp out for a week with them and their chill friends, hang out with them for another week, then fly to Utah for Elevation, then come home. 

Now, I don't think very many people know this, but I have severe anxiety before trips. Like, really severe. I'm so scared right now I almost can't enjoy the happiness. Why? What's so terrifying?

I'm leaving in five days.

How utterly unexpected.
That's why I'm so scared. I guess I just never learned to roll with the punches. ;) 

Don't get me wrong though: I'm stoked OUT OF MY MIND. Arizona's mountains are a beautiful place to be with some of my favorite people. Plus, I'm incredibly grateful to be going back to Crawdad Canyon, which is a second home to me...


Crawdad Canyon!
Photo credit: the marvelous Andrew Blake--check out his work here!
I don't pretend to know why I have been blessed with this stroke of good fortune combined with mercy and incredible generosity--but I have. 

So this week I work as hard as I can to finish up my summer classes, then take flight. And here I was thinking I wasn't going to have much more adventure this summer... *grins* If given the opportunity, I'm going to really put my motto to work. I'm going to soak up the sun and the fresh air, hot or cold. I'm going to feel the breeze on my skin and dance in the rain and poke bugs and be myself. I'm going to sing and laugh and sweat and smile. And I'm going to take half a million pictures (if I remember!)--I always forget to document my adventures. 

So guys... I'm going--on an ADVENTURE!! 

Lesson of the day: Roll with the punches. Some of those punches may end up being love taps... 
^Or something to that effect. Obviously I'm not in all that profound of a mood right now. ;) (Crunching Spanish can do that to a girl.) Anyways... until next time, my friends! I salute you all.

Comments

  1. Ummmmmm *COUGH*..... like...I love this post...but looks like you need to edit it a TINY TINY bit.... like... you know.....THE FACT THAT YOU'RE COMING TO MY HOUSE EVEN IF IT JUST FOR A COUPLE DAYS. **COUGH** Excuse you. ;) I can't believe I just got lumped into the "going to Elevation" phrase................................................................................. ;) No words as of this moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My baddddd......
      Dear world,
      I WILL BE GOING TO SIMMY'S HOUSE WHICH IS A HUGE EXCITEMENT TO ME, I KID YOU NOT.
      Better? ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderers in a Strange Land

"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis   Recently, it hit me in a totally new way, and has continued to do so, that we as human beings really are other-worldly creatures. We are not made for this world. We are wanderers in a strange land, poor wayfaring strangers here. We're equipped for this world, but it's not our natural habitat. What makes me think this? There are many things that have brought me to this conclusion. Let me list a few. Desires which nothing in this world can satisfy. There are so many of these, are there not? We hate goodbyes, whether that goodbye is temporary or long-term; we want to be with our friends and loved ones forever. We also want friendships that go so much deeper than is humanly possible. I don't know if I can describe this desire, but hopefully you've felt it and you know what I'm talking about. We want to...

This is for You

My dear friend, I'm about to tell you something important, something true. Something I know from the bottom of my heart. it is not a painful truth, it's a happy, awesome one. It will make your life better when you know it, too.  But you are not going to believe me. You have self-conditioned to disbelieve what it is I am going to tell you. It's not that it would be painful to accept. It would, in fact, be wonderful. You don't accept it because you can't see it. But faith is believing in things we can't see. So I am asking you to suspend your disbelief for a minute and be willing to believe what I am about to tell you, because I KNOW it's true. And here it is. You... are beautiful. I'm serious. You have no idea. Girl, you're amazing! I know you can't see it in yourself, but even the most drop-dead, unbelievably beautiful people can't see it in themselves. And I'm telling you, you are so beautiful! Don't you dare disbelieve me! ;)...

The Path

I feel like one of those characters at the end of an epic movie who finishes their quest in the exact same place as it started. The place looks the same, and so do other people, but they know they will never be the same. They cannot be.  The girl stands, looking up at the place where it all began, knowing she is not the same. She takes a deep breath. Runs her fingers through her hair. Sighs. But instead of end credits rolling, she turns around and realizes there's a path before her feet. It's foggy and twisty, but it's a path . She doesn't know where it goes. She takes one last look over her shoulder at all that she can see of her previous adventure. Then she turns and, without looking back, follows the path. She has no choice; she can't go back the way she came. So she goes forward, into the fog. She knows that somewhere along this path, someday, she will come to a place... and look up at it... and go inside... only to come out a different person. And she'll ...